Monday 6 December 2010

Reduse and reuse before anything else!

I am glad that we have covered a part of the recycling topic in one of my permaculture classes, and that this brought me to have a great conversation with one of my friends recently.

I always have found that there was a huge problem in our way to see and to use the recycling option in our life… I mean… Why taking a new plastic glass at each new drink that you are ordering in a festival, for example? I always get a weird glance and an answer like “Duh! It’s recyclable, ya know?!” WTF!! Not because it is recyclable that we have to use tons of those!! Recycling is the very last hope in a chain of choices available. The first is to REDUCE. The second is to REUSE. And THEN comes the very last one, which is to RECYCLE! So can you tell me why the heck we all focus on recycling?? And why so many plastic containers are still being produced, used and consumed and which are NOT recyclable? Oh, one more... why is it that too many of us are still not aware of which ones those are? It's been 15 years that we are recycling, y'all!! I’ll tell you: plastics number three and six are NOT recyclable!

Wanna have some ideas of how to reuse the plastic that you find along the way? Create art! Yes, let's turn trash into beautiful pieces of art that will make smile and that will inspire!


Or build houses! Whatever that your creative mind will tell you to do!


And now that we all ARE aware of all this, let’s just leave those products on the shelves: companies will end up having no other choice than to change their packaging! Be assured, there is way enough of plastic already stuck here with us to create your art! No worries!

I can also give you this so very effective tip to reduce your consumption of plastic (also applicable for any other type of consumption, obviously!)... Ask yourself: "Am I gonna die if I don’t get this yummy treat, or this frozen meal that comes in this not recyclable container?" Do I really want to add one more piece of plastic somewhere on the ground of our beautiful planet and which my great-great grandchildren will still be stuck with, and be cursing me, saying “What have you done?!” A resounding NO! Do you feel the same? Good! It is our responsibility, each of us, to educate our loved ones. Some, or I should say many, are bothered by my "preachings", as they say. Great! We all remember of what bothers us, right? haha! No one has ever changed things without bothering anyone.

I love my place in this universe. I wouldn't exchange it with no other being! Well, what else can one ask for, than to make things evolve as one is also doing so, and by being surrounded by other enlighten and amazing beings? I say: enjoy and have fun, little fish!

YOURS IN THIS SO FUN JOURNEY,
LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment